Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

Four


Four.

I first four that came to mind was the four gospels.

Four books, all telling the same story.

They all give us a different perspective on Christ - with a different emphasis, and a unique message.
Taken together, they give a fuller picture of Christ than any one individually can do.

As well as being a wonderfully rich resource for the Christian faith, they are also a reminder that there's always another perspective to look at things from - that one understanding of a person or a situation doesn't give all the answers, however strongly we like or dislike it.





Anyone following a four-fold office pattern (of morning, daytime, evening and night prayer) would find the fourth office of the day is compline. Here's the responsory from compline tonight, to act as inspiration for prayer, if you wish:


Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Alleluia, alleluia.
Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Alleluia, alleluia.

For you have redeemed me, Lord God of truth.
Alleluia, alleluia.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Alleluia, alleluia.

Keep me as the apple of your eye.
Hide me under the shadow of your wings.


♫ We've not had some jazz yet... here's Miles Davis' Four.



No comments:

Post a Comment