Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

Today the Church Remembers St Etheldreda...


St Etheldreda

St Etheldreda, or Audrey lived in the 7th century. She became a nun, and founded a double monastery - for men and women - at Ely.

When the 'Audrey lace', sold to pilgrims at a annual fair in Audrey's name, dropped out of fashion many years later (in the 17th century), the word 'tawdry' was born.

Ely has a special place in my heart. It was our 'go to' place to get out of the Cambridge 'bubble' when Hannah and I were students. It where I was confirmed (by the same bishop who made me deacon and ordained me priest in the last couple of years), and it was where my 3-day bishop's advisory panel for selection for training for ordained ministry was held.

Thinking about Etheldreda has made me reflect on other places that have significance on my life. Perhaps even more so because I also held a meeting today to discuss the details of reopening one of our church buildings, for private prayer.

As well as giving us a fine example of a life dedicated to God, Etheldreda's day also invites us to think about the places that are special to us, and the reasons why they are.


A prayer for today:

Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your disciples, ‘I am with you always’. Be with me today, as I offer myself to you. Hear my prayers for others and for myself, and keep me in your care.
Amen.



♫  Memories - Shawn Mendes




No comments:

Post a Comment