Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

A Day In The Life...

 
Today the Church remembers St Peter (and St Paul).

As part of remembering St Peter, 29th June and the days around it (a period called Petertide) are one of the two times ordinations usually take place (the other one's Michaelmas, on and around 29th September).

Tomorrow marks two years since I was made deacon - and a year and eight days since I was ordained priest. So today, I thought instead of the usual three posts, why not 'a day in the life of a curate in lockdown'?


To begin with, a now very familiar sight that didn't feature until recently, and won't in this 'day in the life of'. (Though Saturday had a Zoom Diocesan Synod, and Friday a meeting with Churchwardens....)



...Every day in ministry is different, but here's a snapshot of just one, yesterday - Sunday:


Breakfast and morning prayer to begin: 


Offenham church is now open for private prayer on Sundays and Wednesdays, so I took the opportunity to pop in on the dog walk - wonderful to see an open door again, and be able to pray inside.







Speaking of Tallis, here he is:






Sunday morning usually means a Communion service or two, and today was no different - though nowadays they're recorded: 






I usually check my emails (far too?) often. Fairly fruitlessly today - it was quite a quiet day on the email front.







From 1st July I'll be 'in charge' of two of the six parishes in the benefice as part of my third year of curacy, so I'm refreshing my knowledge of some of the details about PCC meetings etc:





Pastoral visits during lockdown have looked very different...







In between 'visits', services and paperwork, I can usually find time for a game or two with the kids:





And there was more reading today - one of the ordination promises is to keep learning. I'm hoping to do that in a really formal way soon, and start a PhD - here's some of my pre-reading for that:





With two small children the laundry and washing up never end. Today we had fun washing the car together, too: 






And Tallis gives a reason to get out again for some exercise, and some space to think, reflect, pray (and chat, if I'm not walking him on my own):



Evening prayer can't be in church with others at the moment, but the rhythm of morning and evening prayer are still important:



A wonderful book turned into a fantastic film, to finish the day:



Well, not quite finish, today... compline (night prayer) before bed is a great way to end the day.
(I led an online evening prayer a few weeks ago for Westcott House, Cambridge, where I did my training. One of ordinands who has just finished her training led compline as her first service of her curacy today. It was amazing to be part of it, from afar.)









No comments:

Post a Comment