Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

Today the Church remembers St Columba...


St Columba was born in Ireland, but spent the last half of his life in Scotland, particularly on the island of Iona, where he set up a monastery.

Iona is perhaps most well known now for the Iona community

As some churches begin to prepare to open to reopen the church buildings for private prayer, it seems fitting to think about what spaces are particularly special - 'thin' spaces, are they are often described, where heaven seems that little bit nearer.

Monasteries, communities, sacred buildings, rules of life... there are many ways people find God each day.
Here's another idea... why not take a look at the Quiet Garden Movement ?




A prayer of St Columba:

Be a bright flame before me, O God
a guiding star above me.
Be a smooth path below me,
a kindly shepherd behind me
today, tonight, and for ever.
Alone with none but you, my God
I journey on my way;
what need I fear when you are near,
O Lord of night and day?
More secure am I within your hand
than if a multitude did round me stand.
Amen.

♫     A hymn from John Bell, of the Iona Community - Heaven shall not wait





No comments:

Post a Comment