Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

Today the Church remembers Paulinus...

 

Paulinus was the first Bishop of York, and was the first person to begin building a cathedral in York. 

There's no trace of that first structure now, but the building that eventually succeeded it is amazing.

Why not have an explore? - Explore York Minster  


With church buildings having been closed over the last few months - and most are not yet back to being open anywhere near as much as they were at the start of the year - it's been a real time, and opportunity, amongst all the sadness at seeing them locked, to reflect on the buildings, and other places, that are significant to me, and important in some way to my faith. 

There are many, but here are a few...

One is All Saints' Church, Cambridge - a place where I have spent many hours in prayer as an ordinand, where my son was baptised, and where I was one of the 'churchwardens' while at Westcott House. 

Another, St Chad's, Hopwas, is where I first realised that my calling was one to ordination - as it happens, at my own baptism. It's where I found God, through the people that I met there. It's also the church I got married in. All of those together are the reason that my white stole has St Chad's cross on it.

One more place, is The Peak District. Of all the incredible beauty of creation, the Peak District especially helps me to feel close to God - a liminal, 'thin', space where heaven and earth seem to get that little bit closer.


While I reflect on those, and other places that have shaped me and my understanding of God and of my faith, I wonder, too...      ...what places would you add to your list?



No comments:

Post a Comment