Featured Post

In the beginning was the Word...

What happens to community and church when most people can't gather together? With that sudden possibility recently, the idea of this bl...

This week the Church remembers...


I'm on annual leave for the next few days, so there won't be daily posts for a little while.

So I don't miss any of the festivals coming up, I've included something about each.

Another plan might be to look back over the last 100 days or so of the blog, since it started - are there any posts that you'd like to revisit?




Wednesday 5th - St Oswald

King Oswald accompanied Aidan as he spread the Gospel across Northumbria, and gave Lindisfarne to Aidan and his fellow monks; Aidan founded Lindisfarne Priory on that small island.

How about exploring the Holy Island of Lindisfarne today? - Holy Island Gallery





Thursday 6th - The Transfiguration

Some musical suggestions to celebrate with today:

♫  Thomas Tallis - O nata lux    Take That - Shine





Saturday 8th - St Dominic

Founder of the Order of Preachers:





Preaching Bands... worn by some clergy.

Certainly a symbol of a preacher. Perhaps a symbol of a certain degree of education. Quite possibly a symbol of the two stones tablets Moses received the law on.

I wonder, today...
...what symbols are important to you?


[Photo shows a close-up of some preaching bands]




Monday 10th - St Laurence

One story of St Laurence's death is that he was put to death by the Emperor because, when the Emperor demanded the riches of the Church, Laurence brought the poor in the city before the Emperor's men and said, 'here is the treasure of the Church'.

A reading you may like to reflect upon today, from Matthew 25 (we've had it before, but Bible passages are always worth revisiting):

The king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” 





Tuesday 11th - St Clare of Assisi

A meditation of St Clare:

Place your mind before the mirror of eternity
Place your soul in the brilliance of glory
Place your heart in the figure of the divine substance
And transform your whole being into the image of the Godhead itself through contemplation
So that you too may feel what His friends feel as they taste the hidden sweetness
which God has reserved from the beginning for those who love Him.





Thursday 13th - Jeremy Taylor

One of the great spiritual writers

Maybe dip into some of his writing today?

The rule and exercises of holy living

(It may take a little time to get used to his writing style, and s's looking like f's!)


No comments:

Post a Comment